Damascus, The Syrian government said Thursday that a White House warning earlier this week was only an attempt by the U.S. to justify another attack against Assad regime.
The White House allegations that Syria was preparing for a chemical attack were “devoid of any truth and not based on any facts,” state television quoted a foreign ministry source saying, according to Reuters.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement Monday the U.S. had “identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime.”
Such an attack “would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children,” Spicer added, noting the activity was “similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack.”
“As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.”
U.S. warships launched 59 cruise missiles at a Syrian airbase in early April in response to a chemical attack believed to have been carried out by forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad.
U.S. ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley on Wednesday credited the White House’s statement with stopping a chemical weapons attack in Syria.
Source- The Hill