Ankara, DOZENS of people were killed in a Turkish bombardment in Syria as Ankara ramped up its unprecedented offensive inside the country against the Islamic State group and Kurdish militants.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 40 civilians had been killed in Turkish shelling and air strikes on two areas held by pro-Kurdish forces in northern Syria, the first report of significant civilian casualties in Turkey’s operation.
But Ankara said its raids had killed 25 Kurdish “terrorists” and that the army was doing everything to avoid civilian casualties.
The bombardments came after Ankara suffered its first military fatality in the offensive against IS and the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia it launched on Wednesday.
The Observatory said at least 20 civilians were killed and 50 wounded in Turkish artillery fire and air strikes on the village of Jeb el-Kussa early on Sunday.