Kabul, The Taliban took responsibility for launching a rocket that landed on the new parliament building located west of the Afghan capital Kabul.
Although Reuters reports that Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, said the attack resulted in heavy casualties, none were reported, according to International Business Times (IBTimes).
The rocket attack took place when security officials were entering the building to brief lawmakers Monday, local media reported. According to reports, at least four rockets were fired, notes IBTimes.
“Some three rockets landed near the new parliament building at around 10:15 a.m. (local time). At least one rocket struck inside the building’s yard, sending black smoke in the air,” a witness told state-controlled Chinese Xinhua.
Xinhua learned from a security source that the rocket that landed near the facility caused a hole and destroyed windowpanes.
“The initial investigation found no one was hurt as a result of the attack,” the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The source added, “More details would be made public later as the investigation is going on.”
Out of the four rockets fired, only one impacted the lawmaking body. The other two struck surrounding areas, and the fourth landed in an Afghan military base.
“There are no reports regarding the casualties as the security officials have not commented regarding the incident so far,” reports Khaama Press. “However, a lawmaker said no casualties were incurred to the MPs [Member of Parliaments] or other people after three rockets landed impacted the parliament building.
Today’s incident comes days after a heavy blast rocked capital Kabul after bike packed with explosives went off in 3rd Macroryan area of the city,” adds the report.
In Jun 2015, Taliban terrorists assaulted the Afghan parliament while many high-level officials were conducting business inside.
The Guardian revealed that security officers prevented the Taliban terrorists from entering the building, firing at them with rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns. Two people died in the clashes.
“Monday’s attack came as the lower house of the Afghan parliament, known as Wolesi Jirga, was meeting,” notes IBTimes.
Since President Barack Obama and NATO ended their combat mission and withdrew the majority of their foreign troops at the end of December 2014, violence has escalated while the U.S.-trained Afghan security forces have struggled to deal with a surge of Taliban attacks.
The NATO and U.S. forces completed their combat mission in Afghanistan in December 2014, after 13 years of war against the Taliban.